Friday, December 31, 2010

Winter is finally here for the new year!



Last semester flew by so fast. I swear, time keeps going more and more quickly the older I get. Time is funny that way, sometimes dragging on and sometimes slipping away much too quickly. Anyway, the semester went really well for both Scott and I. We got to work with some wonderful couples and families and learned a lot. I (Ashley) had some challenging classes and I while I enjoyed them, I have been loving winter vacation. Scott and I made a trip to Oklahoma in mid December to see Jake and Nana Branson. It was very enjoyable and we found out a lot about Scott's ancestors. We also got to see Susan and Thad, which was great. We headed up to Leadville a few days before Christmas and it was beautiful. There was snow everywhere and it snowed on and off up until Christmas eve. Scott went snowboarding for two days at Copper with Will and my dad and had a ton of fun in the fresh powder. The snow was a welcome relief from Greeley where up until yesterday we have gotten NO moisture. It has been extremely warm and dry... I mean warm and dry to the point that we were watering our plants up until a week ago (December 22). We had to keep watering them because we haven't had a hard enough freeze for them to go dormant and they were starting to die from lack of water. I've heard all kinds of explanations for this weather, but if you ask me it is weird and concerning to see flowers in bloom in the middle of December in Colorado (It was 65 degrees on Dec. 14th). Also, why was there a tornado in Oregon in the middle of December? Moving on from that tangent, Christmas was a lot of fun and I was happy to spend a few days with my family in Leadville. Since we have been so busy with school I haven't gotten to see them as often and I have really missed them. We got some awesome Christmas gifts from my fam and packed up Christmas morning to head down to Greenwood Village to see Scott's family. I was glad to see Bruce, Patsy, Spencer, and Karina as well as to meet Karina's mom and dad. We shared a really delicious meal and exchanged some amazing gifts. We especially enjoyed the books! Then Karina and her dad played some instruments while we all sang Christmas carols, it was a lot of fun. Bud, Lynn, and Lorraine stopped by and we got to visit for a little. Scott was so glad to see them and I was sorry that we couldn't stay longer but we had to drive back up to Greeley before it got too late. Since Christmas we have been getting the basement cleaned out (we ripped out an old closet and some other drywall and floor tiles) so that we can convert it into a more usable space over the next couple months. We have also been enjoying the snow that finally came yesterday. It seems it snowed on and off all last night as we have about 6 inches of snow! We are excited for the moisture. Tonight I think we will stay home, make some tasty food, and watch a movie for New Years Eve. It might sound boring but I love cuddling up when it is snowy outside in our house that we have worked so hard on.

No comments:

Post a Comment